Saturday, March 20, 2010

Boobs and Babies Part Three

This will be my last posting for a while about our central public library. I need to pray on what next step I need to take. I am conflicted.

I also know the library’s current director and I have stood opposite each other politically when it came to the Springtown Golf Course. I am not sure if she even remembers me but she has got to feel the sting of no new library in this part of town (since the City Council voted to keep the golf course) and the fact that many hours have been cut at a few different city libraries in the last year.

What I wanted to share was some comments I received on Facebook. I will intentionally left off names but the felt it necessary to bring forth the situations.


1. “I used to work there. I didn't make it past the 6 month probation period because I insisted on nursing my son during my lunch break and pumping for my two 15 minute breaks. Suddenly, my job performance started to suffer. And now, no job. Because I insisted on nursing my son. [not bitter, honest]. Kathleen-... please contact somebody in the media about this. I would love nothing more than to see daily nurse-ins at this library. The library director and one other person (there was a third woman in the equation who has since retired) there really has a problem with women having families AND a career. Also, nursing for them is a big problem. Go after them.”

2. “I called the library myself to get more information. The rooms manager clearly didn't want to discuss it, so she passed me off to the director. She told me children are always welcome to use the meeting rooms, but they cannot guarantee their safety as it's only cleaned nightly. Basically, she told me, it was user beware, but that I was welcome ... See Moreto book a room if I wanted to. I asked her how the community could support the library to make it safer for children (seems like a no brainer!), such as donating plug covers, etc. She said the plugs were already covered, but that at time the previous group doesn't always clean up properly. The example she gave was a quilting group that had left pins all over the floor. I said, it sounds like she shouldn't allow quilting groups, as they clearly can't clean up after themselves, which she didn't sound too pleased with. Hee, hee. So, from our conversation, it sounds like there's no policy, but they don't like kids in there.”


So pray for the decisions that others and I will need to make as individuals.

3 comments:

  1. There's a video I saw that was sent to me by a friend. It was about another culture (Mongolian I think) where the children are breast fed until they are like 6-7 or even longer and if there is too much milk the mother will offer it to the men of the group. Yes, grown men! There is no stigma about it, it's seen as a completely and very natural thing.

    I think what you have run into is someone who has some sort of social hang-up with the idea of a woman's breasts being out in public and perhaps that there is a child feeding on it. I would fight this. Clearly form what you have said others posted as comments there is no standard policy. Look into the La Leche League. It's a group of mothers who breast feed their kids and get together for said purpose, to exchange information and what not. THIS is what democracy is all about, so whip em out! And stand up for your rights.

    Just my two cents...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many of the things you have written about or shared in the comments are violating the California laws protecting breastfeeding babies and mothers. I'm happy to help or support in any way I can, even if it is simply to say that I support you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks wooden1. Love your suggestion.

    As for TouchstoneZ, you can contact me privately at katlaing@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete