Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Where have all the jelly beans gone?

Crazy question I know. However, recently I have had an odd obsession with jelly beans. In fact, at times I have craved, dare I say, jelly beans over chocolate (and I am sorry but jelly bellies and spiced drops are not the same at all!).

This is a new phenomenon in our house. With this new phenomenon, has come some great heartache of trying to find jelly beans in the store. Both Clark and I have searched high and low for jelly beans in our surrounding stores.

Jelly beans have seemed to have all disappeared which makes me what them more. I am now a jelly bean addict since I want what is limited or cannot be found.

I am not sure if stores clear out jelly beans and then mass sell them at Easter? Or perhaps it is because our sitting President is not Ronald Reagan who loved, loved jelly beans.

"Reagan started eating jelly beans when he gave up smoking in the early 1960's. On his first day as governor of California, candymaker Henry Rowland gave Reagan a big jar of jelly beans, which Reagan put on the Cabinet Room table. That was the beginning of a long tradition of passing out jelly beans during Cabinet meetings. "We can hardly start a meeting or make a decision without passing around the jar of jelly beans," he told Rowland.

Reagan also once said that, "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." Sometime later he remarked, "Some political figures have endured in history as lions or conquerors or something equally impressive. It's a little frightening to think California history might record us as jelly beans."

Now I am not sure of what color of jelly bean is my favorite or what that indicates of my character. I will have to think about red, green, black, white, yellow, orange, purple and all the other colors mean.

I just wish there were more and I wonder where all the jelly beans have gone?

1 comment:

  1. Did you know my dad's favorite candy was the jelly bean? Yes, real jelly beans. I think I might be able to get you some down here at Marini's candies, but I'll have to look. :) Love this post my dear.

    ReplyDelete