Sunday, June 7, 2009

Rules

Today was Emma's grand blast of a 3rd party with 20 of her playgroup friends at a local indoor play facility. We had a great time!!!!

After today's party and after the presents were unwrapped, Clark and I had a long conversation about "rules and what they mean".

Some people run their lives by rules and consequences. Some people go through the rules and disregard what they want and others just do what they want. The conversation came to be because I have had many questions lately on a particular subject and I have had an onslaught of e-mails saying "these are the rules, these are the by-laws..." I believe that consistency and fairness should benefit all and not just some, however when the rules are bent and the majority's morale is brought down because of the bad actions of a few, the rules need to be reviewed, changes made and actions to be taken (and sometimes not in that order). I struggle because not everyone thinks like I and I do not always think like others.

When I was a a manager at a financial institution, a group of my employees gave me a decorated stick and said that I , "Speak softy and carry a big stick." While I am not Roosevelt, and I no longer speak as softy as I should, my stick still sometimes comes in handy (just kidding).

I believe that rules are made, just as easily as I understand that they are made to be broken when they no longer apply.

2 comments:

  1. When I was a manager at the same financial institution, I was given a plastic, imitation, Native-American-style hatchet and told something similar to your "Speak softly and carry a big stick." I relate to all that you express. You go, Girl! You soft-speaking, big stick-carrying YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is great that you are able to speak softly and even carry your big stick and get people to listen to you.
    Even when I am right, I am often seen as speaking anything bug softly...even when I try to do just that!
    It's taken me years to understand this, and I still struggle with it on a daily basis, but you keep doing your thing!

    ReplyDelete