Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Trip






The Trip. The trip to see my only older brother get married for the first and he says only time. The trip that will not leave my memory for many years to come for so many reasons. I love the fact my brother is happy and in love. I love he has found someone to share his heart with. As his sister I can only pray for the best.

I love my brother as only a sister can and of course, Emma loves her uncle as only a niece can.

On the day of the wedding Emma hid in my dress. So much unlike her. So many unfamiliar faces and unfamiliar people was much for a 4 year old to take in. My brother asked her to carry the ring but she was so afraid of dropping it in front of everyone and being embarrassed in front of people who she did not know (or so Emma told me later).

Right after the ceremony, my little one had to go the bathroom so no kidding Emma nor I are not in any of the family pictures post ceremony because she had to pee.

There were was a picnic after the wedding and the following day there was a reception at a luau.

In between, Emma and I found lots to do on the island and kept busy. Really it was Oahu, how can you not have a good time?

I had tried to reach out on the day we arrived to the new family but they kept to themselves. We stayed in the same resort and as Emma called it they would pass us in the lobby and would, "Smile and wave".

My brother says they are nice and I will take his word. It is funny that Rob married into a family where a distant cousin is someone I have known since 3rd grade. My new cousin called while I was in Oahu and welcomed me into the family.

I learned a few things this trip about staying in Oahu. We staying at a 4.5 star resort. Not because we had the money but because we were able to book a trip on Priceline for a king bedroom condo for very little money a night. The key was we booked it as a room. So no condo tax and no condo sales pitch. Within walking distance were likes of Prada, Gucci, etc. Not our shopping taste buds of the ABC stores but it was safe for Emma and I.

In the end, I would do it again, for my brother. However, I will not go back to Hawaii without my husband.

One day we will go back as a family, Clark and I to teach Emma of her heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment