Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Children should be Seen not Heard, Really?


Ok, there is a debate among a few of us, about whether children when in the presence of adults should be seen and not heard.

And I might lose a few friends as I say this, in fact a few people might vehemently disagree (and I have heard from them already) but this old adage needs to tossed out into the refuge pile not to be recycled.

Clark and I tried for many years to have Emma. The last thing I want to do is just see her and not hear her voice. I want to remember what she says and how she says it. I want to remember the way she laughs. While I would rather not remember her bad days, they do come, like all of ours, but she is a part of our lives, not only to be seen but to be heard.

Clark and I both agreed that manners need to be in play and "excuse" and "pardon me" are things we are working on.

Does she need to be apart of every conversation? No. Does she need to go off and play with other kids or even by herself? Absolutely.

But in our house, we want to see Emma and hear her. Hopefully over time, this will foster the relations needed on when she needs us as her mom and dad as a pre teen and teenager. That she knows we will listen and hear. Clark and I both feel that if we build the foundations now, Emma will know she can come to us, that she can be not only seen but heard.

For all the people for who believe in "Children should be seen not heard?"

How did that work out for you? OR the question that should be asked is how did that work out for your children?

1 comment:

  1. Said by Messiah Christ
    St. John 4:25-26

    He said-
    St. Mark 10:13-16
    He call children back

    and in
    St. Mathhew 18:1-5
    called a child unto him

    ReplyDelete