Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The port is out, the port is out....

Yippee Clark's Port is out. Technically it is called a portacap. It was installed into Clark's chest when he started chemo almost 2 years ago. It is "a device inserted in the veins to introduce IV's and/or chemo".

This is a HUGE step. Last year this time, Clark had just finished chemo and was about to start radiation and now we start this holiday season port FREE.

Clark went into the surgery clinic this morning and I waited in the lobby.

Nothing like waiting in the lobby to hear Kaiser's receptionist talk about Kaiser's latest plan to have one check in area on each floor of the clinic and eliminate each department receptionist check in. Cannot wait to see how that pans out over time.

We went to Father Nature's in Danville to eat afterward. Father's Nature had been our refuge in some ways after hospitals visits the last few years. Many life decisions have been made there and today we celebrated. We celebrated a new beginning!

Clark proceeded to tell me on how they removed the port, how the port had adhered to his body, the blood, making me gag on my breakfast. I stopped eating, and while he ate the rest of my breakfast, he said he had anxiety going into the port removal and now it was done!

I asked if he was allowed to keep the port. Gross I know. Clark then started on what it looked and that started more gagging on my part. Then he said the doctor threw it in the trash and the nurse had to retrieve to send it the lab. My stomach was not in the mood for this at all but my husband was floating on cloud 9, higher then I have seen him in a long time.

A new chapter is beginning, a chapter free of cancer and all its things. Clark still has to go in every few months for a check up and will not be considered remission for a few more years but for now, for today we celebrate!

The port is out, the port is out....Praise God! The port is out, the port is out...

No comments:

Post a Comment