Friday, November 19, 2010

The Library Update....Serious strange

So a few weeks back, I had offered during a City Council meeting to read stories at Springtown Library when City Council decided to rip hours and services from our local library. My aim was not to take jobs from paid workers but to bring story times to kids who LOVE them.

Literally then my heart stopped when a little over a week ago, I was contacted by the Library to fill out an application to volunteer and have a background check done on me to ready as a volunteer during story time. I started to get my ducks in a row to fill out the application. Hope while was not quite on the horizon, for story time to be scheduled it might come back someday and I needed to be ready to step up.

Then a little librarian gently whispered (funny how librarians are that way) to me, "Honey it is against library policy to have volunteers read during story time and currently there is NO such volunteer position."

MMMM....mmmmm...ok.

So I contacted the person who sent me the volunteer application and background check form and asked why was I being asked to fill out these things.

She said, true, true, enough, there is no volunteer position for story telling and she knows that she why she contacted me but there are other volunteer positions open.
She can keep my applicant on file for when the story teller volunteer position opens (really if ever).

Ok. Strange. Serious strange. I decided I will fill out the application and let background be done. I have nothing to hide but a deep desire for kids to be connected to books.

And a little story to share on how I did not know how to read until the 3rd grade and how I fell in love with the Dublin Library (San Ramon did not have one when I was little).

No comments:

Post a Comment