Thursday, September 2, 2010

Strike Three

So Emma takes this really amazing class at a local gymnastics studio. The teacher is fantastic and Emma is thriving right along. Two weeks ago a new student started.

This week, I had to drop Emma off literally in Clark's arms so I could attend her pre K orientation and he could stay with her.

When I arrived back the new student's mom was waiting for me at the door. She asked do you mind if we start the class a few minutes early. No I answered. The new mom then said she was going to ask the teacher and the 4 other moms in the class. Fine, great, I did not care, really what is a few minutes?

However, all of a sudden, the new mom wanted the class to start a hour earlier. This new mom had double booked her kid and wanted us to accommodate her kid's schedule. Apparently her kid had no time to eat between activities and so I said, why doesn't she eat in the car? I guess that was a strike. Now I am friendly with this mom and I like her but I thought asking a whole class, a teacher and studio to change a time to accommodate her and her child was a tad much.

So, while I was conflicted, I said no I was not willing to change it by a whole hour. I would be willing to change it by 15 minutes, even 30 minutes but not a hour.

I even suggested perhaps having a crock pot as some soccer moms do in the back of the SUV with good food instead of fast food to feed her kid.

Strike two for me as a mommy friend.

I understand we all get in binds once in a while and need help. I understand that just being a mom sometimes is hard and we should support one another but setting boundaries with love is a must. I guess that was strike three as a mommy friend and I am ok with that.

1 comment:

  1. hee, hee, hee. I'm glad you stood your ground. It sounds like ridiculous request to me. I want to get Jonah into a couple classes, but the times don't work for me, so I decided he'll just have to live without. I didn't even consider asking the facility and other families to change their lives around. Hmmm, maybe I'll do that next time.

    ReplyDelete