Thursday, March 18, 2010

Boobs and babes

Forewarning I am about to get on my soapbox about boobs and babes.

I belong to a local moms organization. We have had difficulty securing a central public library as a location for a meeting because of boobs and babes. The people in charge of the library rental have said that in no terms do they want our moms and their nursing babies at our meetings there because they are afraid of the damage that the babies will occur at their site or the babies could get hurt.

Now really, our moms are not going to place themselves or their babies in any harms way at a library and at our meetings with our nursing moms and babies in the past have had no issues.

So now my soapbox:

First off, when our daughter was born I never thought I would nurse. Then she came and I realized the best thing for her and I, was for me to breast fed her. Yes, over several months she was transitioned to a bottle, but in the beginning she went everywhere with my boobs and me.

Now a library of all places should understand that we moms whether we breastfed or bottle-fed our babies, it is our choice. By excluding a part of our population, you exclude us all.

A second and just as important issue is that one-day our children will be taxpayers. The same tax payers that pay or will donate towards many of your great programs. Now, this is old school here, but as parents we will let our children know that our library did not allow them as nursing babes for a meetings of moms. So many of the librarians at the central public library will long be retired by the time our children are old enough to pay taxes but their legacy against moms and their nursing babies will continue on.

I think about that legacy and hope that the library changes its mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment