Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Grandma Broaddus

Last night you passed away. I know God has held a special place for you in Heaven next to Grandpa. Someday we will join you but for now I cherish the memories.

I will remember the day I was going to introduce Emma to you and before I could say she was your granddaughter, you reached for her and said, “Now this is a Broaddus baby.” And I knew. I knew that somehow you aware that Emma was part of your family, our family and the tenderness in which you held her that day I will never forget. Dementia might have gotten your mind but God still had your soul and you knew, you knew that Emma was a Broaddus baby.

I will remember your gentle kisses and the long hugs goodbye.

I will remember when you would reach out for my hand to hold it.

I will remember your laugh, or should I say giggle. You really had the best giggle.

I will remember our trips to Texas and Oklahoma that led you showing me where you and grandpa were raised. The “Grapes of Wrath” was your story in so many ways.

I will remember you valued family, but I will always think I was your favorite grand child.

I will remember that you let me be me and still loved me.

I will always remember you taught me to sing “Jesus loves Me” and now I have taught Emma.

I will remember that you would play jacks with me on the floor.

I will remember how you taught me to cut babies out of the Sears catalog and cut clothes so I would have paper dolls.

I will remember the way you cooked. There were always lots and lots of food and adding one more person to the table was never an issue.

I will remember you gave me confidence when I doubted myself.

I will remember when Grandpa would preach in the pulpit, we would sit in the pews and as I sat next to you, you would stroke my hair.

I will remember you and Grandma Laing taught me to love gardening. There is something magical about seeing a seed coming into bloom.

I will remember your love. Your love I never doubted and never questioned. I knew it was always there and that is what I will remember.

I am who I am because of you and you will always have a special place in my heart.

Until we meet again~

Much love.

Your granddaughter,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment