Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Shots and Radiation

A few weeks back Clark, Emma and I went to Kaiser and got our flu shots. I had contacted Emma's doctor beforehand and specifically asked if she should get the flu mist (a live virus) or the flu shot (a dead virus). I was told that Emma needed to get the flu shot based on Clark's condition.

So we are in the flu shot clinic and the nurse says, "Yeah, we don't like to give 3 years old the shot." I told her Clark had cancer and it was imperative that Emma get the shot based on her doctor's orders. The nurse's displeasure was obvious. It was like I was the awful parent who likes to have her kid get shots. Emma did fine with the shot. She did not squirm or shed a tear. She was a great team player.

Fast forward to earlier this week. Clark went to the flu clinic with his doctor's note in hand specifically saying he needed the H1N1 shot. The nurse said they were not taking doctor's notes and Clark would have to wait to come another time. So, my husband the sarcastic man he is at times, said to the lady,"so if I die from H1N1, do I blame you?" The lady looked at him. Clark went on to say,"So you are going to deny me the shot?" The lady looked at him and said "well we are not taking doctors notes" and Clark said, "yeah, I have cancer."

Finally, finally the lady got the point,my husband needed the shot and it was finally, finally given to him.

No one here likes shots, but if given the choice between extending my husband's life by taking a preventive measure, we will.

I say this as I have not left the island of the bedroom in 4 days. I have peered out the door and the natives must have had some type of tribal celebration and hope they get the cleaning crew to come before I leave the island.

Clark also went to his radiation walk through today. He starts daily radiation on Tuesday. There is finally light at the end of this long tunnel.

1 comment:

  1. I got my flu shot and the H1N1 shot through the VA. I cannot convince someone else to go... and I can appreciate your disdain for needles. I get an IV every two weeks along with the blood draw. They actually gave me a tetanous shot because of all the times I have been poked. I am sending you well wishes and prayers. Get well soon, ALL of you!

    ReplyDelete