Monday, October 26, 2009

H1N1 and us

I am hesitant to write about this. In fact almost decided against it, but realized this too is a part of our life.

Last week Emma came down with a a fever and a sore throat. She was very sick and I took her into the on call doctor who said it was a virus. To be on the safe side we kept her home from school all week.

It was a full week of activities for me from Bingo, to a fighting breast cancer fundraising event, to the Livermore Moms Pumpkin Patch (such an awesome time), to visiting with my brother and finally "me" time. Always busy but I was really relishing the "me" time.

Clark had left on Friday for the weekend on a church mens retreat. After being together almost everyday for 10 months it was nice to have a little break.

But then...

I got sick. Diaherra, chills, sweats and the sore throat. It hit hard. I had to call Clark at the retreat on Sunday for him to come home. I could not take care of Emma and I could not take care of myself. Speaking was difficult.

When Clark came home, I was running a temperature. He called Kaiser. Thankfully I was able to keep the temperature low enough to keep out of the ER and see the doctor today.

However, I had/have no energy. None. Clark had to drive me and we took Emma. Clark and I share the same doctor. After a series of questions, the doctor said he thought not only did he think I had H1N1 but more than likely Emma had it the week before (but since the on call doctor did not do a swab we will not know). I was ordered to have a few blood tests, a throat culture and a chest xray. I cannot go out until the fever blows.

And poor Clark. Because of my sickness, our GP called his oncologist and Clark because he was symptom free had to get the H1N1 shot. We all had gotten the flu shots but the H1N1 was not available at that time.

For now I am quarantined in our bedroom until the fever breaks. The last thing we want is Clark to get sick, his immune system is already comprised and H1N1 could shut it down. The good thing is bonding I can hear Emma and Clark having. I hear lots of giggles and laughter and it does my heart good.

1 comment:

  1. YUCK! All three of my kids have had it. I'm sorry to hear that you have been hit by it as well. Hope that you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete