Friday, December 4, 2009

I knew it.

I knew it before my daughter even asked the question. I knew it because my daughter is so much like me. I knew exactly what she was going to ask so I waited.

She looked up at me without pointing and said, “ Mommy, why is that lady so short?”

The lady that Emma was referring to was about my age but only about 3 inches taller than Emma.

The pressure was on. Do I tell Emma it is impolite to ask such questions as I was told when I was younger? Do I say nothing and ignore the question? Do I just say the truth?

Then the pressure intensified, the lady looked up at me as if waiting for the answer I was going to give.

“Emma, people come in all heights both short and tall”, I answered. The lady smiled and I thought for a moment I had passed the test.

Then Emma asked, “Does she drive?”

Now I could tell other people were eavesdropping and I could feel the pressure intensify.

“Of course she drives. Silly girl” I answered.

Now I had no clue if she would drive or not. I had no clue what the lady was capable of but I knew I did not want Emma to think this lady was limited in life because of her shortness.

So the questions continued. The questions continued because my daughter is so much like me.

2 comments:

  1. I love your response ... you're a good and thoughtful Mom. Chere

    ReplyDelete
  2. And because her mommy answered with the truth and didn't ignore her questions....she will come to you with questions for the rest of her life! Way to go Mom!

    ReplyDelete