Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Kaiser does Women's Health well!

This is one of those things I have been hesitant to write but then feel that as a woman if I can help someone else I should.

Kaiser does some wonderful things. One of the best programs they have, I believe is the Women's Health Department and specifically the Pelvic Pain Center. Prior to going there I had seen my GP and a chiropractor to relieve some of the pain.

I was not really comfortable with the chiropractor. While I got out of the pain initially, I could not see myself as a long term patient there. Especially when he was throwing out terms like "chronic fatigue syndrome". Then when I was offered a "membership" like program in the mail from them, I knew I would not be back.

When the chiropractor said he thought I might have chronic fatigue syndrome, I realized that I needed to see my GP and gynecologist promptly. I had by then started to chart when the pain was horrible and it seemed to have a direct correlation to my monthly cycle. I met with my GYN and GP within 2 days of me contacting them and they both refereed me to Dr. Simpson at Pelvic Pain Center in Martinez. What a blessing.

Chronic pelvic pain exhibits many different characteristics and initially I thought the pain was in my back and my foot. I found myself limiting what I was doing to try and lessen the pain. By limiting what I was doing in my life I was also excluding exercise.

At that first appointment Dr.Simpson spent over an hour with me. She figured out a plan that worked for me including physical therapy. That was a few months ago. Now, my pain is manageable and my quality of life has substantially improved. The physical therapist Mary has been the best.

I think the biggest accomplishment for me was when we were on vacation. I did not limp and I did not have back pain even though we walked everywhere for a week. Of course, I also have been properly fitted for a bra and a good pair of athletic shoes.

I now walk almost everyday and am trying to incorporate running. After all, I am on Jen's team for 199 Relay in May 2010. I have to be ready!

Kaiser does Women's Health well, especially pelvic pain management. I am so thankful. I have a quality of life back. Thank you Kaiser!

2 comments:

  1. Hey I think Chiropractor guided you in the wrong way saying it as chronic fatigue syndrome. The gp and gyn gave best suggestion to consult Dr. Simpson.

    ReplyDelete