Sunday, November 8, 2009

Fake It Until You Make It

I personally think this statement is one of the most over processed things I hear. According to Wikipedia the meaning of Fake is a term used to describe or imply something that is false. "Fake" means false.

I am not sure about you, but I am raw, real and a work in progress. I cannot fake what I am not but I can try and fail, learn from it, live on and love more from it.

I really have been thinking much about this lately. Maybe it is because Clark and I both are getting back into shape. He loves to ride his bike and I am a walker.

And now, somehow I have found myself signed up for Jennifer’s team for the 199 Mile Relay next year (promoting donation through Organs 'R' Us "ORU"). I cannot show up on Relay weekend without having done some work. I cannot fake being in shape. I cannot tell my teammates I am ready if I have not done my part. Thankfully I have 6 months and hours of training to put in before hand. I also cannot do this alone. I will need the prayer and support of my family and friends both new and old.

I say both new and old, because I think it is important to widen your circle of friends. My best friend Terilynn I have known each over 20 years. In fact our core circle of friends have all known each other anywhere from 20 to 30 years. We are now scattered all over the world. So while we have come to treasure our relations, we also have created new friends that bring new perspectives and new ideas.

As a side note, I was once told I could not hold a role within an organization because it had been filled by a known friend of the leader. Okay, I understand, but what I understand more is if you are willing to take a chance. I look back now and I continue to see roles within this organization filled by friends of friends. Creating a clique and a wall to those who want to get in.

I know when Team Schoening: Team One Love walked in the Lymphomathon in June 2009 we were only successful because we had new and old friends walking and contributing. I pray that more organizations would take down their walls and enlighten their lives with old friends and maybe discover a gold relationship with a new friend.


Now today Clark cannot ride up Mt. Diablo. His body has been fighting cancer for a year, but perhaps he can ride/walk up the Sunol ridge. Clark’s body needs to find a new rhythm and strength. He also cannot do this alone. Clark needs prayer and support from us-his family and his friends both new and old.

Clark and I cannot fake being in shape but we can try and fail, learn from it, live on and love more from it.

Note: I know I will not fail my teammates for the Relay.

No comments:

Post a Comment