Monday, November 9, 2009

One day tape, glue, kisses and hugs will not fix everything...

Today Emma broke one of the arms off of a doll. She came to me and said, "Mommy, please fix this. Do you need tape or glue?" Emma knows so far in her young life, when something breaks we try and fix it with tape or glue. So today was no different.

But I wonder about the day when tape and glue will not fix her toys, when hugs and kisses will not fix her hurt feelings. I know we cannot shield her from the pain of a lost friendship or a broken heart and I am not looking forward to that day.

At her young age, Emma has already experienced death and sickness. We lost two elderly cats in the past year. Every time Emma asks about the cats, I tell her, "Emma, the kitties went to a new home called heaven." This seems to pacify her for now. And sickness. With Clark being sick, she has had to see first hand how daddies are not always well.

We will try our best to shield Emma from known dangers and protect her for as long as we can. For now, tape, glue, kisses and hugs will fix most situations and for that I am glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment