Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dear Maria K. or AKA Mom's Landlord,

Dear Maria K. or AKA Mom's Landlord,

Thank you so much for calling me tonight to ask me when my mom was going to pay her rent. I am not sure what law you violated on asking me this since I am not a co-applicant on the place. I know when I worked in credit card collections it was a violation of Federal law when discussing debt with a third party, but housing laws are different.

You demanded my mom's phone number. I told you I would let her know you called.

You seemed to get quite upset when I asked you why my mom should pay you money when the place you rented her less than 3 months was posted with a foreclosure notice last week.

You showed real class when you said if mom did not pay her rent you were going to have the utilities turned off.

You also really showed your true character when you told me that if mom did not pay the rent to you that not only would you turn off the utilities, but you would lock her out.

When I happened to mention to you that perhaps some of your tactics were illegal you hung up on me.

You then had the tenacity to call me back. I was pissed.

I advised you if you kept calling me I would consider it harassment and call the police.

You see, Ms. Landlord, you choose the wrong house to harass tonight. I may not know much about housing laws and foreclosure but I know I can find out. Not only can I find out, but I will ask my friends who are real estate agents, attorneys, city employees, your mortgage lender (easy to find out) and anyone else who can help-perhaps even the media. My mom might not have this access but you see I do.

Once I become educated, I will help my mom. You see I am my mother's daughter and while our life choices might be different I will still fight for her when she cannot.

Sincerely,
My mom's daughter-the fighter

My mom has next to nothing and gets very little in social security. The fact she has to put up with bullies like her landlord bothers me. My mom knows more about the street life then I would ever want to know but one thing both my mom and dad taught me was to be a fighter. To fight for what you belief in and always, always fight for the under dog who is being mistreated.

2 comments: