Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Church Wall, Facebook Wall or Human Wall?

So today I went to write something on a Wall with someone I was “friends” with. There I noticed there was no wall. So I e-mailed her, “where is your wall?”

Here was her response:

“It is just my personal preference to keep my settings private because I have a young daughter and work for a large church.”

Okay I almost had to laugh, except for one thing. I happen to go to this large church and know her through the church, and I too, have a small child. Is there something I need to be aware of? Is there a predator lurking in the Church halls that I do not see and should be aware of? Was there a Church Wall?

Then I came to the realization. This person could see everything on my wall all pictures, comments and friends. I got kind of funny about. This person had full access to my life but I was unwalled on Facebook by her. It was kind of creepy.

Why would anyone want to be friends with someone on Facebook but block them from the Facebook wall?

A series of e-mails went on between her and I. The last e-mail I sent was “I am not sure why you would keep people as friends if you did not intent to be "friends" with them.”

I do not collect friends or care about amount of friends I have on Facebook. What I care about is the human aspect, the relationships, and the friendships. I now realized I had been blocked by her Human wall.

I also realized I was not the issue. This person could hide behind the Church wall, the Facebook wall or the Human wall. It was not the Church, Facebook or the Human wall where communication lacked. This issue was hers and hers only.

I pray that someday she finds contentment behind her Walls. I pray she finds Truth.

2 comments:

  1. I have a few friends who turned off their walls. It never rested easy with me, but until just now, I couldn't really figure out why.

    Thank you for articulating it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange, but if you are a Christian, you should behave as such no matter where you are or where you write your thoughts. One would think that she would use her wall to share her message, rather than be concerned that someone at her church would see her wall and think less of her. Either she is living a double life or she doesn't have much faith in her friends and her church.

    ReplyDelete