Thursday, April 8, 2010

Colon Cancer

My grandma died of colon cancer three weeks to the day she was told she had it. My grandma had dementia so really it was my uncle the doctors told. Three weeks to the day she died.

There was no treatment because there was no time. I would like to think my grandma was no in pain and if she was then she would forgot about it. I would really like to think dementia has some positive things about it.

According to the CDC
"When Should I Begin to Get Screened?

You should begin screening for colorectal cancer soon after turning 50, then continue getting screened at regular intervals. However, you may need to be tested earlier or more often than other people if—

* You or a close relative have had colorectal polyps or colorectal cancer.
* You have inflammatory bowel disease.
* You have genetic syndromes such as familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP) or hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer.

Speak with your doctor about when you should begin screening and how often you should be tested."

Also accordingly to the CDC, "Of cancers affecting both men and women, colorectal cancer (cancer of the colon and rectum) is the second leading cancer killer in the United States."

Colon cancer can be considered a hereditary disease and I am not taking any chances. I have an e-mail into my doctor now.

No comments:

Post a Comment