Sunday, April 4, 2010

Humbled

or should I just say my grandma's funeral was humbling. I was very anxious about going. My mom's side of the family is as dysfunctional as the next and I could tell by my mom's voice there was tension between her and her siblings.

Then my uncle started the service, and all troubles were placed aside. It was never more evident and it was like changing of the guard. No longer were my grandparents the oldest living generation, but now my mom, my aunt and my uncle were. No longer were my parents the second living generation, but my first cousins and I were and now there were our children, the second cousins, who were replacing us. In a span of second of when my grandma passed, our whole living family structure changed and with it our history that has yet to be written.

We spent the afternoon and part of the early evening after the service enjoying each other while our kids played. My first cousins and my family ate and laughed. There were promises of new get togethers in the future. Promises I hope as first cousins we keep.




No comments:

Post a Comment