Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A reporter

from the Conta Costa Times contacted me a few times about the issue of breastfeeding, the library, the room rentals, etc. I wanted so bad to pursue it but I had to think about it. Was this really my fight? Sure, the organization that I am part of had issues trying to rent rooms from our main library, but since that time some local churches have stepped up to fill our needs.

Having librarians discourage rental of rooms to moms and nursing babies is against the law. I would like to think the ACLU would LOVE to get involved in a case like this. I could see the headline now, "Average American town with a library that has old age thinking on breastfeeding". I might still contact them. If I had a nursing baby I certainty would encourage a breastfeeding sit in. Maybe someday if we take Clark's frozen sperm out and have another child, I will.

It is a shame too about the rentals, since the library accordingly to the library director's blog dated January 25, 2010, "The bottom line for the General Fund of the City, which funds library services, is that the revenues do not match the current budgeted expenditures." So you would think that renting a room let's say at $10 a hour for 2 hours is $20, and maybe at the end of the day it takes 30 minutes to clean at a cost of $10 (staff, cleaning supplies, etc.). You still have $10 you did not have before. Maybe my math and thinking are too simple. If they rented more often, they might get more regulars and more regulars is more income. Again, my math and thinking are real simple here.

I also keep thinking about the $15,000 the Library had to pay out on a "misfiring". It blows my mind to think that in this decade that a public employer would actually be naive to think their actions are legal when in fact employees have rights about breastfeeding. In the same Librarian's blog I referred to earlier she states, "I have spent over 24 years getting our library where it is today. I am not pleased about these changes which are taking us backward." Wow! So does the librarian live in the 1950's? Changes to the library would have happened with or without her and when you discriminate against moms and nursing babies, it is a need for a time of change. Perhaps the current librarian needs to retire. Perhaps her way of change needs to be off and out of our Public System. Our library and public funds might be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment