Friday, August 7, 2009

Take it easy

Yesterday I was in line at Safeway buying my 4 gallons of milk for the week when I noticed the lady behind. She was probably in her eighties and based on the food she was buying more than likely lived alone. The items she had in her basket were some of the items that my Grandma Laing used to buy as a long time widow. The sweater that the lady in Safeway wore, her sweet smell and the mannerisms were so reminiscent of my grandma. I had to look away because I could feel the tears starting to well.

Grandma Laing passed away a few years ago. She was my mom in many ways. Up until the day she died we spoke everyday. I still remember the night before she passed away from natural causes. I had called her about 10pm to say goodnight. I had just gotten home from work (back then I worked for a financial institution that was under constant scrutiny by the government and I had a hour commute). She was always telling me to slow down and take it easy. As if, I thought to myself at the time, as if. And now I know she was right.

As this recollection was racing through my mind, I saw an old friend and her daughter in the next check out line.

We had not seen in each other in long time and as we hugged, she asked how Clark and Emma were. I started to cry. The enormity of what we were and are going through just hit me and because this friend did not know Clark had cancer made it worse.

The poor checker was so polite and waited for me to wipe my tears away and gather my composure before handing me my receipt.

I glanced back at the little old lady behind me and could see the compassion in her eyes. The same compassion my grandma would have had (and I am sure in that woman's sweater pocket there was Kleenex along with a few peppermints).

I know if my grandma were alive today, I would tell her as I wiped tears away, I have learned to slow down and take it easy.

1 comment:

  1. Hugs and laughter to you today for listening to the words of a wise and respected woman. Enjoy your day with your family!

    ReplyDelete