Thursday, August 20, 2009

WooHoo no more steriods for Clark this cycle!

Clark's oncologist made a decision today to take Clark off Prednisone (a steroid) for the cycle of chemo starting tomorrow. Prednisone is a good drug but wicked in side effects. Here are some of the effects as listed on Google: stomach irritation, headaches, insomnia and important to note mood changes (including irritability, depression or aggression). I know he is happy to be able to stop taking it.

The medical team is also taking Clark off work until at least January 1, 2010. The stress of having to look for employment while undergoing treatment was a huge burden for Clark as a man to bear. His main focus should be on getting well and not worry about money. Clark was also feeling guilty about collecting disability and it was reiterated to him by the medical team that he should not feel guilty. What could have been an awful visit actually turned into a pretty good doctor's visit and opening up about concerns helped.

Chemo cycle 7 starts tomorrow and I pray it goes as painless as possible.

As for the little princess daughter. Today she was with Delilah and David. David took the girls to Ben Burgers. My dear, darling daughter likes to play choo choo train. This act is when you stand in line and place your hands on the hips on the person in front of you and the front person is the engine. Well... Little miss decided to play train with David while in line waiting for food. Unfortunately for David, his elastic shorts made him a fine victim for being "pants". Emma accidentally pulled on his shorts and they fell. Thankfully he was not going commando and he wore boxers today. He proceeded to tell us how packed the place was with lunch time goers and when his shorts hit his knees everyone laughed. When he retold the story we also laughed so hard. There is every a dull moment with Emma, Delilah or David.

4 comments:

  1. AWESOME News!! You all continue to be in our prayers. The choo choo story cracked me up!

    -Sarah Sonoda

    ReplyDelete
  2. No steroids for Clark and no commando for David -- Cool beans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Kathleen, My name is Tracy and I am married to Sarah (Farmer) whom I am told you went to school with. I also have cancer (sort of) and am prescribed Prednisone along with Danazol, a synthetic testerone. Talk about your manly mood swings... I feel Clark's pain and then some. We just recently moved to California and both Sarah and I are now covered through the VA medical health care system. Since meeting my Hematologist and a couple of her colleagues earlier this week, there is also talk of taking me off of the Prednisone and revisiting my medications. I am keeping you, Clark, and your family in my prayers and I think about you guys often, even though we have never met. I wish you the best of luck and keep up with the Blog, it is a great read.

    Sincerely yours,
    Tracy.

    PS. I love going on mini-adventures, they are a wonderful distraction to the day to day reality of what my life has become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy,

    I am so happy you left a note. Maybe now that you and Sarah are back in Cali we can connect for a BBQ. You are in our prayers as well!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete