Wednesday, August 19, 2009

You will be missed Ed

Today a neighbor died. Ed. Ed Meyer.

Ed and Camille lived here before we bought our home over 11 years ago. Over the years Ed would float over to our driveway or we/I would go to theirs to shoot the breeze.

During the fight for Springtown golf course with the City of Livermore, Ed and I were both in support of keeping the golf course open along with many others but we were in different camps. I purposely separated myself from the more radical camp. I was not willing to compromise the Board and the Association I represented at the time. Many feathers were ruffled within our neighborhood including mine.

Ed was good though. When it came to the "Watergate" so to speak of how we find out the City was even thinking of changing the golf course, Ed passed information to and from the different camps along with Don Nolte (the retired librarian of Livermore). Without the grape vine (and documentation) of what the City Council was thinking of, our movement would not have been that strong.

Somewhere along the way, Ed parked his car in our driveway and said he was sorry. He understood my position especially after reading my letter to Independent that was published March 20, 2008:


Speak Out
Kathleen Laing Schoening
Springtown, Livermore

In the March 11, 2008 of the
Contra Costa Time in an article
by Eric Kurhi on the background
report for the Northeast facilities
it was stated by Vice Mayor John
Marchand “Springtown folks,
stay involved. This is your opportunity
to make yourselves
heard.” I heard your challenge,
Mr. Vice Mayor. Yes, I am willing
to be accounted for. I am not
a public speaker, but I am going
to stand and let my voice be
heard. I urge my fellow
homeowners to welcome the Vice
Mayor’s challenge if you value
your beloved Springtown golf
course and the open space it provides.
Attend the town hall meetings!
This is our chance- don’t
let it slip by. Protect what you
hold so dear.
And yes. Mr. Vice Mayor, I am
the target audience in more than
one way when it comes to the
Northeast facilities. I was a golfer
before having a child (yes, I even
took lessons from Stan with Tri-
Valley Golf Center for years). I
am a long-term homeowner
(though to some I am still a newcomer)
and finally I am a stay at
home mom of a child who will
be of pre schoolage shortly. My
family and I are users of the library
and LARPD programs. But
what keeps us in Springtown is
the simple life.
Change is inevitable but preserving
open space is a must."


Ed knew one way or another our battle was coming to an end with the golf course and we needed to be neighbors again. His apology meant more to me than saving the golf course itself.

When Clark was diagnosed with cancer, Camille was going back and forth from the hospital that Ed was in, but she took the time to send an email. She wanted to let us know she was there for us and praying.

A day or two after getting Camille's e-mail, we also received an e-mail from the Vice Mayor. He too was praying for us.

It is so sad that Ed is gone but he is in a better place.

Springtown will miss you. Cancer simply sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment