Friday, July 31, 2009

Adversity

Recently friends and I were talking about what people do when faced with adversity. The following questions came up: Do you run and hide? Do you stand still and do nothing? Do you sit in the stands and try to quarterback the game with disdain? Do you jump on the sidelines and cheer on? Or are you on the field merely as a player? Or are you that player who runs for the goal, ball in hand, pushing all obstacles aside?

So many ways to react when faced with an unfortunate event or circumstance.

I can tell you while Clark is resting, he is praying. It is his faith, our faith in God that is getting us through this troubled time.

Clark is resting now. He has been resting on and off since he got home from chemo. In between naps he gets on the phone and yaks and yaks. And laughs and laughs which is great medicine for the soul. Goodness knows he is not looking forward to Sunday when the shots to boost his immunity (such a necessary evil) start.

One of my friends has offered to lend me her nurses uniform for when I administer the shots, but really my plan of attack is slow, steady and quick. Painless if possible.

I should add that while one of Clark's favorite shows is Wife Swap, Emma's second favorite show is The Doctors (Imagination Movers is first of course). As a mom, Dr. Emma has a nice ring. We will see.

1 comment: