Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cancer is just so random

Today I went to lunch with Teri, an old classmate from 3rd grade. We reconnected recently on Facebook and now we do lunch on occasion.

Today we talked about a former classmate of ours who passed away from cancer last week. This woman left behind 9 year old twin sons.

We then talked about other students in our class, in other classes and our lives who have had cancer or who have passed away from cancer.

It is so random.

Cancer.

Who gets it and who does not?

Is it the environment? Is it the food we eat? Is it what we drink?

Is it that our science is at a level now that can detect cancer at incredibly earlier stages than before?

And if the science is better at detection, why are there not cures?

So many questions.

Clark does not understand why he has cancer.

We do not know the future of his cancer but pray everyday for the cure, not only for him but cures for everyone who has cancer.

Cancer is just so random.

1 comment:

  1. I agree -- It is random. Similar to why do some people drink hard, smoke like chimneys and live past 100-years old? Cancer is a difficult subject to fathom, regarding cause and the why as far as to who has it and the random cures. It's like considering the universe and it's extent. Difficult to think about too long without feeling like there isn't reason or logic as to its distance. I have thought about this too, with Cancer and other circumstances. The WHY is heavy and has weighed on my mind for Clark, you and Emma to a degree that is unlpleasant, but ultimately, I am lead to my faith, that is what turns it around to a hopeful direction. I pray with hope for you every day and I have faith in the power of my prayers.

    ReplyDelete