Monday, May 11, 2009

Joan the Book Lady

Emma calls our neighbor across the street "Joan the Book Lady." Ever since Emma was a baby, Joan has showered Emma with love/music boxes/assorted gifts and more importantly books. So the other day as Emma and I were leaving, Joan was in her garage. Joan's movement has been slowed due to age but I could still her call my name to come over. She was in her garage writing a check out for the Lymphomathon. I could have cried. I have never mentioned this to Joan. I have never asked her for money, but there Joan was writing a check. Emma and I both profusely thanked Joan the Book Lady.

Her check put the team over the new adjusted goal of $1000 (the first goal was $500). Then I looked again and my brother and Diana, the Cruz family and Linda and Phil Snyder had donated as well. It is still a month away and I cannot believe the money that has been raised. I hope as it says on the website that funds raised by participants will support the Foundation’s mission of eradicating lymphoma and serving those touched by this disease. I pray that Emma's generation is never touched by this horrible disease.

Speaking of which, Clark's hair fell out. Well it was falling out and then Clark had Emma rub the rest out; except the facial hair stayed. Now the hair on the head is growing out and the facial hair is falling out. I asked Clark to shave his mustache since there are large patches missing, but in true vanity he has decided to keep every last facial hair he can. Somehow losing his head hair did not bother him but losing his facial hair does. It is really cute on the things we hold on to and really his look is kind of endearing.

1 comment:

  1. I am touched each and every day by what you write. It's like a personal periscope into your lives. I am so grateful that God has provided a vast support network for you and your family, from so many directions. At the same time, I'm imagining Clark with his sparse, patchy moustache and I have to giggle inside!

    ReplyDelete