Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Beach and saying goodbye

The Beach
Today was beach day. Sometimes in life there is nothing like the sun, the sand and the beach. Emma was excited about making angels in the sand and climbing the rocks (after all we were at her beach-the area in front of the Beach House in Half Moon Bay). It was the perfect place to be. Victor and Clark sat on the benches while Emma and I played in the sand.

At one point I looked up at my husband and realized this was one of the last times we would come to the beach before treatment begins. I never have thought of my life as in “last times”. So instead I am think this is a temporary time and when Clark is well we will be back. Everyday I see him lose strength and know he is in the care of good doctors but ultimately he is in the hands of God.

Whatever time today was, it was delightful and a cherished memory.

Saying Goodbye

Recently I edited my last Springtowner (the newsletter of the Association where we live). Here is some of what I wrote:

“Bittersweet. I recently attended my last Springtown HOA meeting as a Board member and it was bittersweet. This is also the last Springtowner I am editing.

The last two years have been a flurry of HOA meetings (HOA business had to get done), City Council meetings and Town Hall meetings all to keep the golf course open for the golfers and the open space it provides.

Getting to know the key characters in all of this was a pleasure from neighbors, to City Council members, local city employees and community leaders. I was blessed to get to know many people that I now call friends.

A special thanks goes to Dan McIntyre, the Public Works Director for Livermore on providing numerous articles for the Springtowner. Your input was valued and appreciated by many.

In passing, I hope hosting a City Council Candidate forum is something the incoming Board will continue to do (two City Council members’ seats are up this year). Setting up a City Council Candidate forum was not hard to do last time. Pick a date the Hall is not rented out, invite the candidates, invite the members in the Association and notify the media. If City Council candidates want your vote and want to hear your concerns, they will come. Stay tuned into city business by going to their website http://www.ci.livermore.ca.us/. Our voices and votes do make a difference.

I also wanted to thank the Pastors Rory and Pam Frink. Their church The Rock now meets on Sundays and Wednesdays at the Springtown Association Hall. If it were not for their church recently signing a contract for two days a week, our rental income would be substantially reduced during these hard economic times.

I lastly want to thank our management company. When Kim (now a dear friend) came on board as our manager, the operating of the Association changed dramatically for the better. I hope that the incoming Board and Association members appreciate all the hard work she does.

As I planned my life beyond a Board member, it included my future with my husband and almost three-year old daughter; starting a business, becoming co-director of the Livermore Moms Club, etc.

And then my life stopped for a brief moment…

My husband was diagnosed with cancer.

Nothing in life can prepare you for the news. Nothing in life can compare to the day you hear your husband has cancer. We are now fighting a battle not to save the golf course but to save his life. We are unsure of what our future holds. What I know now is my time and energy is to get him well. I need a husband and my daughter needs her father.

So for now, I bid goodbye as a Board member but not as a neighbor. Until I see you again~”

No comments:

Post a Comment